L'orto di Bruno [Bruno's Vegetable Garden]

What's been happening in Bruno's vegetable garden lately?


If you are new to this blog I suggest you start reading from the Introduction onwards.

Monday, April 07, 2008

2004/2005 Tomato Harvest Summary

I've finally got round to summarising the tomatoes harvested back in the 2004/2005 season. The weights were written down on paper, but I hadn't entered them into my computer for analysis.

The summary is nowhere near as detailed as that for later years, since I didn't keep records for each plant. Instead I just recorded the weights and the crop. As a refresher, here are the two crops I planted back in 2004/2005:

* Crop 1: Zio Pasquale's seedlings, (15: mixed beefsteak, grosse lisse, whatever) planted in September 2004
* Crop 2: Costolato di Marmande, 5 seedlings, planted in January 2005

Also I should mention that I didn't start weighing the tomatoes until a few weeks into harvesting, so I had to estimate the number picked and assume were the average weight of the weighed tomatoes.




"Good" Tomatoes
CropTotal Weight (grams)Number pickedAverage Weight (grams)
Crop 1: Zio Pasquale's seedlings23968125191.74
Crop 2: Costolato di Marmande19602870.0
TOTAL25928153169.46


The average yield for each plant in crop 1 was a bit over 8 tomatoes, and 1597 grams. The average yield for each plant in crop 2 was 5.6 tomatoes, and 392 grams. The combined average yield: 7.6 tomatoes and 1296 grams per plant.

Comparison with recent years is a little distorted, due to the different varieties that made up the crops.

It's also worth noting that the harvest period went from late December to early May. This is very similar to 2006/2007, which is the best season to date on all counts: total number of tomatoes, total weight and length of harvest.