L'orto di Bruno [Bruno's Vegetable Garden]

What's been happening in Bruno's vegetable garden lately?


If you are new to this blog I suggest you start reading from the Introduction onwards.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

The Last Days of the Tomato Plants

The unseasonably warm April continued almost until the end of the month. In some ways I don't regret not planting any winter crops yet, because it still feels like summer.

Yesterday I began pulling out the tomato plants growing in the main garden area. The plants lasted about seven and a half months, so I can't complain. They produced fruit for four months, yielding about 120 tomatoes, averaging one per day. I guess that means one less photo to take each week. Hopefully the two remaining "Costoluto di Marmande" plant growing in pots will keep going for a little while.

The capsicum plants are still looking healthy and producing fruit. The aubergines. on the other hand, look like a lost cause. They aren't producing much fruit, and when they do, insects attack before the fruit matures. Next year I think I'll stick to tomatoes and capsicums.

To view the latest photos, click on the links below:
The tomatoes (week 32)
The aubergines and capsicums (week 26 after transplanting)