L'orto di Bruno [Bruno's Vegetable Garden]

What's been happening in Bruno's vegetable garden lately?


If you are new to this blog I suggest you start reading from the Introduction onwards.

Saturday, September 25, 2004

Initial Preparations

Before I could start my garden I had to get rid of the weeds that had threatened to take over the backyard.

I started pulling out weeds in late August, and spending an hour or so every day I had the job done within a week. I wish I'd taken photos to enhance the before and after effect, but you'll have to take my word for it that the weeds were everywhere.

There are already several useful plants and trees in the garden, so I decided to keep them. Parsley, rosemary and spinach have managed to survive quite well with little maintenance. There are also several established trees: olive (2), lemon, mandarine (2), plum, apricot, persimmon (3), fig and peach (3).

While removing the weeds I uncovered some potatoes. I didn't plan on growing potatoes, but I decided to keep a few around.

Once the weeds were removed the next step was to till the soil. I found some "blood and bone" in the shed, so I mixed thatin. By mid-September the garden was to ready to go.